For a rainy day, this is a note to myself, and in case others might need fresh ideas to jump start one’s studies… I have listed things that help me to build momentum in my academic work. This list also works for sermon preparations.
Please share your study habits that work well for you!
This list is what works well FOR ME. But might be helpful to others…
Study tips for reading and writing
* exercise regularly
* eat healthy all the time!
* mood regulation – whatever you need, for me, this means no drinking
* sleep regular hours
* meditation – to help you focus and “declutter” your mind
* study at same time, same place – build a habit of studying
* start study time with prayer!
* take notes and highlight along the way while reading – quotes are helpful, but summaries are better if planning on writing paper later.
* make notecards of important chapters or book
* start writing paper with notes, summaries of readings (blank screen paralyzes me so I just put something down on the page!)
* create and maintain support of friends who cheer you on and friends you can cheer on in some way
* close web browser, and keep closing it!
* Pomodoro app – 25 min study, 5 min break (sometimes this helps me to keep studying, sometimes I use it to make sure I take breaks!)
* take breaks!
* celebrate accomplishments!